Assessment Type: In Class test
Follow these recommendations for formative Quiz Activities to simplify question bank management and control the release of grades/feedback to students.
1. Complete the Quiz Notification Form
2. Create Questions in the Question Bank
You should create questions with a descriptive name in the Question Bank on the relevant Moodle course.
- You can also organise your questions into Categories.
- Before creating your questions, familiarise yourself with the different Moodle Quiz question types (e.g. MCQ, Numerical, Matching, etc) .
3. Creating a Quiz Activity
Create a new Quiz Activity and amend the following Settings:
- Under Description: add general instructions and information (this will be visible to students before the quiz starts)
- Under Timings: set the open, close times and duration of the quiz attempt.
- Under Review Options: set when and how much information and feedback goes back to students.
- Under Tags: add the “Formative” tag, which ensure the Quiz is listed in the Essential Unit Information area for staff/students.
4. Adding questions to the Quiz
Once you have created the Quiz Activity, you now must populate it with the questions from the Question Bank.
To add questions to the Quiz, click the Activity settings cog, then the ‘Edit quiz’ button. You then select “Add” > “from Question bank” to insert question(s).
You should preview the quiz to check the display of questions and the correct answers.
5. Run the Quiz
Students attempt the Quiz on Moodle.
6. Review the quiz attempts
It is advised to review the quiz attempts to identify any errors with a question.
Option – if you have used the Essay question type, you will need to manually grade the response.
7. Distribute grades and feedback to students
Grades and feedback will be automatically returned to students based on the Review Options settings you set in step 4.