What is it?
Advanced grading is a grading method that can be used in Moodle Assignments.
Advanced grading is marking done with a Marking guide or a Rubric.
|Marking guide example:||Rubric example:|
How do staff and students use it effectively?
Clear marking criteria will help students understand what any particular assessment task is looking for. Marking guides and Rubrics help ensure assessment guidelines, success criteria and next steps are clear for students and staff, which will help avoid unnecessary complications.
Staff can decide which options they use when setting up their Marking guide or Rubric but we would recommend you consider the following:
- Choose the setting to make the criteria descriptions visible to students in advance, and let them know that they can view these by accessing the assignment submission point. You may need to highlight to them how to view the marking criteria at the early stages.
- If you’re using the Rubric or Marking guide for formative feedback, you can choose to hide the points awarded from students.
- It’s important to include feedback comments and to personalise the feedback provided. You can choose how to use the rubric and marking guide in combination with feedback comments, so you can either have feedback comments for each assessment criterion, or you can make an overall feedback comment.
How might I use it?
To get set up, please view the following guidance videos:
Watch this short video [6 mins 17 secs] which demonstrates how the set up a Rubric:
Watch this short video [7 mins] which demonstrates how the set up a Marking guide:
Dr Sabina Gheduzzi, Department of Mechanical Engineering, on Using a rubric for an open ended assessment.
- Moodle Doc: Advanced Grading Methods
- Brookhart, S.M., Chapter 1. What Are Rubrics and Why Are They Important? [Online] In: How to Create and Use Rubrics for Formative Assessment and Grading, USA: ASCD. Available from: www.ascd.org
- Assessment and feedback
How to video guide: Rubrics - Advanced marking in Moodle
How to video guide: Marking guides - Advanced marking in Moodle
Moodle Assignment Settings Setup and FAQ
Student Assignment Submission FAQs
For additional advice on using Advanced Grading in Moodle to enhance learning, teaching and assessment contact the TEL team: email@example.com