Creating and FeedbackFruits activity involves two steps:
- Add an External Tool activity to Moodle and connect it to the FeedbackFruits service.
- Edit the FeedbackFruits activity settings to suit your purpose.
Step 1 – Add an External Tool activity to Moodle
To start, go to the Moodle space where you want to add the activity, and toggle Edit mode on.
Add an activity or resource
- Select Add an activity or resource.
- From the pop-up menu select the FeedbackFruits option.
Select the FeedbackFruits activity
- Click the Select Content button and choose the activity type you want to create.
- You will see two Bath templates (for Assignment Review and Peer Review) that have been set up with some settings already chosen, and with some Notes to guide you. You can use these templates or create your activity from scratch.
- You can also access previous activities you have created to use as your own template by clicking the Copy From Existing tab.
Name the activity and save
- Give the assessment a name and enter some text into the Instructions textbox. Click Save. Clicking save will close the pop-up window. Step 2 will provide you with the guidance for choosing the rest of the settings for the chosen FeedbackFruit content.
- Note: You do not need to choose all the remaining content settings at this point. However, if you do want to choose the remaining settings at this stage you will need to do it before clicking save, as clicking save will close the pop-up window.
Select remaining Moodle settings
- If you want to record grades to the Moodle gradebook ensure, under Privacy options, that Accept grades from the tool is selected.
- If you want to set the options for Activity completion, choose the relevant Completion tracking option. For example, you can Show the activity as complete when conditions are met and select Students must receive a grade to complete this activity.
- Click Save and return to course so you can select your newly created assessment and continue to edit the FeedbackFruits activity settings.
Step 2 – Edit the FeedbackFruits activity content settings
You can now follow the relevant FeedbackFruits guidance depending on the activity you have chosen, to finalise the settings ready for students to use it.
|Setting up instructions||Teacher and student perspectives of using the activity|
|Assignment Review – for simple submission (individial or group) for assessment by a lecturer/tutor||Teacher – Assignment Review|
Student – Assignment Review
|Peer Review – for students to assess the submissions of their peers and provide feedback||Teacher – Peer Review|
Student – Peer Review
|Group Member Evaluation – for students to rate the performance of their peers (related to a group project or task)|
You can also read about how the group contribution is calculated, and how to detect outliers (e.g. overconfident students or group conflicts).
Group contribution factor
|Teacher – Group Member Evaluation|
Student – Group Member Evaluation
|Automated Feedback – for students to receive automatic (almost immediate) feedback on their academic writing direclty from the tool||Teacher – Automated Feedback|
Student – Automated Feedback
|TBL – to provide a team-based learning approach, including pre-learning, iRAT and tRAT, and optional reflection|
Scratch-off question mode
|Teacher – TBL|
Instructions for all the other activities can be found by searching the FeedbackFruits help pages.