Summative Moodle Quiz - Set-up Instructions
Assessment Type: Examination
Follow these core recommendations for summative Quiz Activities to simplify question bank management and control the release of grades/feedback to students.
1. Complete the Quiz Notification Form
If your summative Quiz is in the exam period, please use Inspera.
You need to complete the Quiz Notification Form so we can provision Moodle resources. Unauthorised quizzes may crash Moodle, affecting the assessment experience for all our students.
2. Create Questions in the Question Bank
You should create questions with a descriptive name in the Question Bank on the relevant Moodle course.
- You can also organise your questions into Categories
- Before creating your questions, familiarise yourself with the different Moodle Quiz question types (e.g. MCQ, Numerical, Matching, etc) and see these tips on Writing effective multiple-choice questions.
3. Create the Quiz Activity
Create a new Quiz Activity and amend the following Settings:
- Under Description: add general instructions and information (this will be visible to students before the quiz starts)
- Under Timings: set the open, close times and duration of the quiz attempt (pictured below).
- Under Review Options: uncheck ALL tick boxes. This ensures that no grades and feedback on the attempt automatically goes back to students.
- Under Tags: add the "Summative" tag, which ensure the Quiz is listed in the Essential Unit Information area for staff/students.
- Option: under Grade Transfer (for unit convenors only): link the Quiz to an assessment on SAMIS for transfer of grades.
4. Add questions to the Quiz
Once you have created the Quiz Activity, you now must populate it with the questions from the Question Bank.
To add questions to the Quiz, click the Activity settings cog, then the 'Edit quiz' button. You then select "Add" > "from Question bank" to insert question(s).
You should preview the quiz to check the display of questions and the correct answers.
To add extra times or extensions, you need to add "user overrides" to amend the time limit and/or dates for students with a DAP or alternative arrangement.
5. Run the Quiz
Students attempt the Quiz on Moodle.
6. Review the quiz attempts
It is advised to review the quiz attempts to identify any errors with a question.
Option - if you have used the Essay question type, you will need to manually grade the response.
7. Distribute grades and feedback to students
In step 3, we prevented any grades and information going back to students. To release information to students, you will amend the "Review options" setting (click the Activity Settings Cog >"Edit Settings"). A minimal review option would be to let the students see their total marks only (but not their attempt or the questions) which can be achieved by checking "Marks" under "After the quiz is closed" only.