How can we help students make the transition to the expectations of degree-level study?
This workshop will explore factors of transition that contribute to student engagement with HE, navigate key findings from research about student belonging and transition and give participants a tangible framework for transition work within their curriculum design and/or delivery, based on Bath’s institutional approach to induction and transition. The workshop can also be adapted to consider other transitions, i.e. not only into Year 1, transition to PGT study, and can be framed to focus exclusively on belonging, if needed. Departments are encouraged to involve recent incoming students in this workshop.
Suggested running time: 90mins, 2hrs, or half-day
Key outcomes for participants
- Outline incoming cohort demographics, to begin to build a picture of what your students' needs are on arrival (most accurate data will be available if this workshop runs in September)
- Describe the institutional induction provision and how the curriculum can reinforce key expectations.
- Review the research base for effective transition to HE, including the ‘Lizzio & Wilson Five Senses of Success’ model, focused on building an academic culture which develops the student’s sense of connectedness, capability, purpose, and resourcefulness.
- Apply the Five Senses model to make explicit links between curriculum design activity and supporting student transition.
- Clarify opportunities to develop student belonging and effective transition in Year 1 across the department or course area.
Comments from previous participants
The [Five Senses of Success] wheel was really helpful (Chemical Engineering staff workshop participant, September 2019)
[The workshop] stimulated my thoughts on what makes students 'belong' and how I can encourage this amongst my students (Chemical Engineering staff workshop participant, September 2019)
Great session for start of teaching (Chemical Engineering staff workshop participant, September 2019)
[As a result of the workshop I will] take specific actions to promote connectedness and purpose in the design of my teaching (Chemical Engineering staff workshop participant, September 2019)
For more information about this workshop or to arrange a session for your team, contact: